What are the medical requirements for recruit officers?

This medical self assessment tool can be used learn more information on the medical requirements for recruits. If you have additional or specific questions, please reach out to the CPS recruiting email.

I’m a serving member of the Canadian Army Reserves - can I still apply?

Yes you can apply. Training and skills you develop in the Army transfer well into police work. Discipline, agility, intelligence and mental resilience are key components in becoming a Police Officer.

Does having tattoos negatively impact me as a candidate for the role of a Police Officer?

In short, no. Tattoos are accepted at the Service however members are expected to project a professional and unbiased image at all times when representing CPS. Members are encouraged to limit the placement of tattoos to areas that can easily be covered with the approved CPS uniform. Any tattoos deemed to be offensive, present an unprofessional appearance, or undermine the dignity and authority of law enforcement are required to be covered.

What are the physical expectations during recruit training?

Recruits are expected to be in good physical condition upon entering recruit training. They will have regular classes – varying in duration – encompassing defensive tactics, firearms operation and physical fitness. Recruits are tested in a variety of fitness components including the following

  • Leger 20m Shuttle Run
  • Pull Ups
  • Push Ups
  • Scored Conditioning Circuits

I have Peace Officer status in Canada, am I eligible for the DEO Program with CPS?

You must be employed by an accredited Police Service or Agency in Canada. While it may make you a competitive candidate, we currently do not accept time served with the Military Police, Corrections, Transit Officers, Bylaw Officers, Sheriffs, Highway Patrol, CBSA, or Railway Officers into the DEO Program.

What are the benefits of the DEO Program for experienced members who qualify?

  • Reduced training time
  • If there is not a DEO Class approved and you enter the full recruit training you can provide mentorship to your class-mates and acclimatize yourself to the CPS procedures and local legislation.  You would still be recognized for your years of completed Service through your salary and vacation;
  • A wage commensurate with your completed years of Service with an accredited Canadian Police Agency / Service (we include the 6 months that you spent in training), up to a max of 5 years being a First Class Constable with CPS

When is the next DEO class?

If you are an experienced police officer looking to start a career with the Calgary Police Service, the CPS Direct Entry Officer (DEO) Program is hiring. For 2021, CPS is planning to fill two designated DEO classes for May 24th and August 2nd.

Can I transfer my pension?

There likely will not be an option to directly transfer your
pension, however you can purchase pensionable years with the CPS using your
current pension payout. To consider this, please discuss a Locked In Retirement
Account (LIRA) at your financial institution before your submit your
resignation with your current employer. Once employed with CPS contact the
Special Forces Pension Plan (www.sfpp.com) to
discuss the LIRA and pension. 

What qualifies an experienced officer to apply for the DEO program?

All minimum requirements, including:

  • must have a minimum of 2 years of policing experience (including training) with an accredited Canadian Police Service / Agency;
  • must be currently employed by an accredited police service, in Canada;
  • must be in good standing with your current police agency;
  • must be free and clear of any ongoing internal investigations or disciplines;
  • the final decision regarding a candidates eligibility for the DEO program will be determined by the Recruiting Unit