I’m a serving Canadian Forces member – can I apply?

We will only accept applications from regular force members of the Canadian Armed Forces with a maximum of 6 months remaining on their agreed upon contract with the Department of National Defense. Prior to processing of your application, we will require the expiry date of your employment contract with the Canadian Forces. By taking this approach we are able to mitigate any issues that may arise from a currently serving member attempting to leave their contract early. It also gives us the opportunity to confidently bring a potential applicant forward in our selection process knowing they are ready to start at the selected class start date with no delays.

Additionally, in the event that you are able to obtain release prior to the end of your contact, we require an officially signed document from the Department of National Defense stating this and the date you have been approved to be released. This will ensure that we have a confirmed date and help us to navigate you through our process accordingly with no delays.

I submitted my application on-line but haven’t been contacted by anyone – how long will it take?

The Calgary Police Service is currently facing a very high volume of applications and each application is processed individually, often causing a delay in time from when the application is submitted to when the applicant is contacted by a Senior Staffing Specialist.

Thank you for your patience.

I haven’t found the answer to my question, what do I do now?

Remember that attention to detail and thoroughness are important skills to a police officer. Please go back and review all the different areas of our website to ensure the information you are seeking isn’t there. If you still need an answer to your question, feel free to drop us an email at cpsrecruiting@calgarypolice.ca. Please note the email mailbox are not monitored on a daily basis, so please be patient.

I don’t have all my family’s information – how do I complete the Security Clearance form?

Provide us with as much information as you can about your father/mother/sibling, such as their date of birth and last known address. If you are unsure, please indicate that you are unsure, and include a separate page explaining the situation and that you have not had contact with him/her in several years.

How soon can I apply to work in a specialty unit if I’m successful?

Calgary Police Service is hiring front-line patrol officers.  If you are successful throughout the recruiting process and are offered conditional employment as a police officer with the Calgary Police Service, you would be required to fulfill a minimum of 5-7 years or longer as a patrol officer, before being able to apply to specialize in other areas.

What is an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)?

If you received your education outside of Canada, it must be assessed by a designated organization for verification of educational qualification. There are currently five designated organizations that will issue qualified applicants with an assessment certificate stating that you have met the minimum educational requirements equivalent to at least Grade 12. You can find further information on ECA reports and the designated ECA organizations here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=681&top=29

How do I apply for a civilian position?

If you are interested in pursuing a career as a civilian with the Calgary Police Service, you can refer to the City of Calgary website for job openings.

Can the Recruiting Unit arrange a ride-along with a police officer for me?

Applicants currently in the process can discuss this opportunity with their recruiting officer.

What information services are available to people who want to join CPS as a sworn member?

The CPS offers information sessions, large group lectures, career fairs and other events to assist applicants in their pursuit of a policing career.